Thursday, January 15, 2015

Balance 2015


This year I chose the word Balance as my word for 2015. I didn't share it or make a huge deal of it like I did last year, but it's something I want to work on slowly but surely. I know balance doesn't happen over night.

Last night, I spent 30 minutes or so going through Pinterest finding quotes about balance to help give me ideas and insight for my year of working on the daunting task of balance. It really is daunting sometimes if you think about it. Balancing life, family, work, exercise, blogging, friends... It's not going to be easy. But not many things in life are usually easy.

A balanced life for me is going to look different than those around me. Everyone finds balance in different ways. We live different lives, some have kids and some don't, have different jobs, different backgrounds, different life issues. 

According to the Merriam Webster dictionary, the definition of balance is:

1bal·ance

noun \ˈba-lən(t)s\
: the state of having your weight spread equally so that you do not fall
: the ability to move or to remain in a position without losing control or falling
: a state in which different things occur in equal or proper amounts or have an equal or proper amount of importance


What might a balanced evening might look like at my house this week?
Sometimes multitasking like last night when I cleaned up all of our holiday decorations and re-organized them in our basement, all while helping our kids paint and do art projects in the same room. Laying with my daughter at bed time, heading back to the couch to work on my blog for a bit and ending the evening cuddling with my hubby.  Tomorrow night, it may mean a full evening playing with my kids and doing just a few chores in between. Balance will definitely be a work in progress for me.

Balance can mean different things depending on the day. But what I have to remember most is that I don't need to do it all. Balancing life, family, & work is sometimes a daunting task, taking it day by day is the best way for me to keep in check.


How I am going to try work on balance this year... 

-Remind myself that I don't have to get every single thing done on my to do lists
 via

-My first objective is to pay attention to what matters most

-It is also important to take time for myself to laugh and play, therefore being a better mom, wife, employee and friend

-This quote is a great reminder that it is going to take time... balance won't happen overnight


What I struggle with...
-My to do lists... I am a list person, always have been. I love to check off my lists and get everything done. I am trying to remember that I don't have to get every single thing done every day.
-I also like to move 100 miles an hour and rarely stop moving. Trying to slow down a bit to take more moments with my kids & my husband are happening slowly but surely. It has felt really good these past few weeks to let the chores wait and make time for my family more
-Finding time to exercise. I am also working on making time to work out at least 3-4 days per week, as my body needs it to work on my 2015 goal of being healthy and fit again.


Did you pick a word to focus on for 2015? 
How is it going so far?

4 comments :

  1. Good luck! Balance really is key in life, I am still working on it myself and have actually downloaded an app to help me keep track of exactly what I am spending time on and how much time I am spending on certain things (like being online, blogging, etc)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Balance is so important when you have a lot going on and need to make sure things get taken care of. My word for 2015 is focus. I need to start focusing on one thing at a time, one day at a time. Often times, I plan far ahead and end up rushing and rushing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Balance is key for me! And I love that you pick a word each year. My 2015 word is holistic! Part of balance is learning to say NO - which is a HUGE struggle for me! It's nice to know I'm not alone!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Balance is something I really struggle with... but, my family and friends think I am so good at it (I don't feel that way!). I think it is extra hard to balance when you have kids, too. Great post and great advice!

    ReplyDelete

09 10