Tuesday, June 2, 2015

Before & After: Dresser Project

The last & final piece in my son's Big Kid Room update that needed completing was staining his dresser. I wanted it to match his new shelving, desk & headboard a little better. 

Before... Oak dresser purchased off Craigslist 4 years ago. It had been sitting in our basement play room for 3 of those 4 years. It has solid oak drawers, veneer top & sides. Great shape & works great!


Process... I painted Citristrip Stripping Gel onto the entire dresser & let it sit for 30-40 minutes. Then I started scraping off the stain with scratch pads & a scraper.

After about 30 minutes, you could see the stain stripping itself off of the wood. 

It was a family affair, my son helped with the scraper (well for about 10 minutes) ha

We let the dresser sit for a day to dry out. After the dresser was completely dry we started staining. What I realized, was that it was different wood than the shelving & desk, therefore it was not taking the stain as well and didn't look the same. But I was determined to keep layering on stain so it would at least be closer to the coloring.

Thankful for a helpful hubby that took turns putting on coats of stain!

Budget... We used stain that we already had in the basement from the Big Kid Room project & Citristrip from an old project.   Cost: $0

After... I am happy with the way the dresser turned out, even if it is not 100% the color that I was hoping for. It looks great in the room with the new desk, shelving & headboard!



 A few photos from the Big Kid Room Update
           

http://choosehappybb.blogspot.com/2015/01/big-kid-room-update.html

More Big Kid Room Update Photos - Click HERE & HERE

14 comments :

  1. His room looks GREAT! I think the new stain color matches the room a lot better. That product you used to strip the stain worked great, I need to keep it in mind for any future projects. I am planning on painting all of the furniture (3 pieces and a mirror!) this summer, which will be easier than staining. And kudos to your hubby (and son!) for helping!

    Carrie
    curlycraftymom.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks great! Staining is a long process but very worth it in the end. Once we figure out which bedroom the girls will share together and the boys I want to start making big kid rooms for them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a lot of work, haha, but the outcome looks worth it all! I love the new room as a whole! Way to go, Becky!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The color you stained it looks great! It looks really good with the whole room! I love re-doing furniture and wish I could do it as a full time job. I am currently working on a few more pieces as well. The work may be hard but it is so worth it in the end.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow that looks ten times better with the dark stain! Painting furniture is so much work, but it always makes a big difference!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It looks awesome! Well done. I think it goes really well with the headboard and shelving!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a transformation!! It looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the dark wood finish for sure!! & cute room by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the dark finish, looks more sophisticate and elegant :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love a good dresser transformation post--great work! The darker stain looks fantastic.

    ReplyDelete

09 10