Friday, August 8, 2014

July Family Adventure {Part 1}


A few weeks ago, we took a family adventure to the North Shore of Minnesota & the Boundary Waters Canoe Area. This blog post will take a sneak peek at the 1st part of our vacation to Duluth, Gooseberry Falls and setting up camp in the Boundary Waters. 


We started our adventure late on a Friday afternoon in Duluth at the arcade. We go to Duluth often, but the kids had never been to this arcade before. 

We took a little walk to the Canal Park Brewery for dinner. I am always amazed at what the children find along the way & get excited about!

Time to hit the open road! Heading due north on Hwy 61...

We made it to Gooseberry Falls. I wanted to capture this moment, where my son took his sisters hand and told her to stay close to him. It was so precious.

I have been traveling to Gooseberry Falls since I was a little girl. It still amazes me every time I go there. Gooseberry Falls has so much to offer: beautiful waterfalls, hiking trails, Lake Superior shoreline & a wonderful visitors center.

The kids love to explore the rock formations & hike up along every nook & cranny that makes mom nervous! ha
 



After hiking at Gooseberry Falls, we went for a drive to find some lunch! We stopped at the Crossings at Cove Point Lodge for some pizza & an appetizer!
 
I can't come to the North Shore without stopping at Betty's Pies. YUM! Betty's Pies is a restaurant north of Two Harbors, MN that has the most DELICIOUS pies on the planet (Well besides my grandma's) But anyways, this is another stop that I have been making since I was a child. My favorite pie, as you will see below is the Blackberry Peach Crunch. I enjoyed this piece on the side of the road sitting in the grass!

We've arrived! Sawbill Campground - just a few hours north of Duluth, MN.  This will be our home for the next few days... I had not been to this campground since I was 13 years old. I realized that was almost 20 years ago! Time flies...

We loved our new Cabelas's tent! It kept us dry & safe from the rain storm and we had plenty of room to not drive each other crazy!
 

The kids had a blast exploring at our campground. They found sticks, rocks, leaves, played with worms, used potato sacks that our firewood came in for potato sack races, they had fun!





July Family Adventure to be continued.... 
Part 2: Boundary Waters Exploring


What adventures have you been on this summer? What are your suggestions on camping or exploring with young children? I would love to hear about them in the comments section below?

Thanks for stopping by! Have a wonderful weekend!

Choose Happy
~Becky

No comments :

Post a Comment

09 10